Monday, November 12, 2007

Tasting: Clos Henri Vineyard

I enjoyed this wine over the weekend with a stuffed pork loin (red peppers, spinach and Mozzarella cheese) and a pesto pasta. I paid $24 for the bottle at Wine Library. It was my first encounter with Clos Henri.


The wine: Clos Henri Pinot Noir Marlborough 2005

Region: Marlborough, New Zealand

Color: Very light ruby, more translucent than I had expected.

Nose: BEAUTIFUL. Thing I noticed most was the floral hints, but nice cherry and other berries represented.

Taste: Very warm notes of cherry, raspberry and spice, by no means overwhelming. Through the finish the fruit picked up steam, and also noticed a touch of oak on the back end. Surprisingly, the floral notes I detected in the nose didn't hit my pallet, though there was a slight hint of grass/hay. It did have a 20 second finish that was very smooth and soft.

I really enjoyed this wine, more so than I expected. I've been enjoying New Zealand Sauvignon Blancs for a long time, and figured it was time to expand my horizons and try something else. I grabbed this bottle on sale at Wine Library at the suggestion of one of the fellas there. I thought it went perfectly with the meal. I give it an 8 cork score, though when I asked my dad to rate it 1 through 10, he gave it a 9...and he's a man that knows quite a bit about wine, producing it all his life.


Verdict: 8 Corks

Have you guys jumped on the New Zealand band wagon yet? If so, what is it that tickles your fancy at the moment?

1 comment:

Grape Nut said...

I can't remember a specific NZ wine that jumps out at me right now, but I've always been impressed by them. I'll have to pick up a bottle and give it another try. I've been on a real California kick lately and with the weather turning cooler, I'm sure that will just change to a big red kick.