Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Taste of Spain: #4 of 5


The Wine: Bodegas Hijos de Juan Gil 2003
Country: Spain
Region: Jumilla
Category: Mourvèdre
Vintage: 2003
Price: $14.99
Decanted or Not: No

Tasting Notes

Color: Dark Ruby

The Nose: Fruity bouquet, showing currants, raspberries, maybe even a touch strawberry and vanilla.

The Taste: As the nose would suggest, dried cherries and currant flavors, lots of fruit up front, mellowing out with some mineral notes, vanilla and spice from oak. Beautiful silky texture and mouthfeel. Just an all around well crafted wine. Highly recommended, delicious wine.

As many of you have probably noticed, I don't give out corks very easily, but I particularly liked this wine. I paired it with a pork braciole (did I spell that right?) and acted a worthy foil to the cheeses and hearty red sauce. Mrs. Grape Nut actually purchased this wine and it was a great find. She knows me well.

Verdict: 9

3 comments:

The Vine Guy said...

9 corks?!?!?

That's a big score from you. I will definitely have to check this bottle out.

Grape Nut said...

Yeah, I know. I questioned myself when I made that rating, but I was blown away by at the time. I'm going to buy another bottle just to make sure.

João de Carvalho said...

Huge score 9/10... and when you taste a BIG ONE like a Martinet or Alion what will be the note ?
12/10 ?